How To Be The Best DadJuly 23, 2012 - 6:11 am |
Getting older? Knocked a chick up? Here’s some pointers on becoming the best dad you can be in this fast paced world.
The greatest challenge that soon to be dads usually face is how best to bring up their children when they finally arrive. This challenge is however not limited to soon to be dads; men with children usually worry if they are in the right course of bringing up well behaved and responsible children. Being a dad definitely comes with heavy responsibilities; providing for a child all that he/she requires in terms of food, clothing, education, health care etc. More importantly, instilling discipline in a child in different ways is a major responsibility that every dad must take up strictly so as to bring up a responsible child who will be able to overcome challenges in life.
1. Becoming the best dad for your child or children requires that you first understand them as they grow up. Knowing their preferences and character in good time will inform you on the best way to treat them. It pays to identify each of your children's talents and character from an early age. This will give you the opportunity to guide and mould them in the right direction. The fact that children are very keen on what you say and do gives you a good opportunity to instill in them important values when they are still young.
2. Becoming the best dad for your children requires that you create time for them. A big challenge that most dads face is work demands that literally take up most of the time, leaving very little time for family issues. Creating and spending quality time with your children is very important and as such forms a strong bond not only with you but also among them. Such bonds are definitely important to build and sustain strong families. Note also that it is only by spending time with your kids that you will be able to understand their needs. In this regard, listening to them every time they have something to say is critical.
3. You cannot definitely ignore the importance of play as one way of becoming the best dad for your children. Take the opportunity to introduce your children to the games you used to play during your childhood. Modern toys are also available from both local and online stores that you can buy and play together with your children. One benefit of most modern toys is that they are mostly educational. For example, you can buy word and puzzle games amongst others to help your children develop their skills as they play.
4. There is nothing important and great in bringing up responsible children as introducing them to work from an early age. Let your grown up children learn to accomplish minor tasks in the house. For those complicated tasks, let them be around and watch as you accomplish the same. They will not only learn how to accomplish tasks but also develop their own skills and a sense of responsibility, which will become valuable to them when they grow up and become independent.
5. Like everyone else, children feel confident and encouraged when they are appreciated whenever they successfully accomplish a task. Make it a point to appreciate your kids when they succeed in school work or tasks at home. Show appreciation by buying them appropriate gifts such as educational toys. Doing so will encourage them in striving to do better in the future.
6. One thing you cannot do in your endeavor to becoming the best dad for your kids is to give in to tantrums. Your kids want to learn and understand you as their dad and will do all that they can to get your attention. Family therapists emphasize on the need to stay calm and composed whenever you notice certain behavior meant to attract your attention instead of being irritated and becoming angry. While it pays to listen to and watch what your kids say and do, you need to be able to know when to intervene.
7. Love is powerful in any relationship and loving your children will not only make them feel comfortable with you but also share with you their experiences. Showing fatherly love to them always will make them feel confidence in whatever they do, including their school work.
8. As your children grow, they need guidance on how to handle any challenges they encounter. This is where you need to come in as a counselor. Talking to them about any problems they may be facing will make them capable of handling such problems in future.
9. With the present technological developments, your children are certainly exposed to different content. Without proper guidance, such content can cause them serious damage mentally, psychologically and emotionally. It is your responsibility as a dad to properly guide them on good values.
10. A home-school and back home routine can be very boring if not monotonous. Creating time and finding resources to take your children out will do them great good. Apart from change of environment, they will be able to appreciate nature and all that it provides. It can actually be a good learning experience.