When Lucasfilm and Disney announced the release of The Force Awakens on Blu-ray back in March, they promised a 3D release at some point. We guessed that it would coincide with the release of Rogue One, and as it turns out, we were pretty much right on the nose.
One month before Rogue One hits theaters on December 16, Disney will release Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Collector's Edition 4-Disc Blu-ray set on November 15. Those of you not tempted to buy it for the 3D version alone, as I am, should know that there's a whole mess of new bonus features including more deleted scenes and a commentary by director and co-writer J.J. Abrams. Check out the full list of bonus features...
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume Designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.
You did indeed read that right as this will include the same bonus materials from the first release, making that one you bought back in April a really expensive coaster. Check out the box art below and let us know if you'll be picking up this double dip extravaganza!