Late last week, we began hearing that today was going to be a big day for DC's upcoming Justice League film, and now we know why. WB and DC invited a bunch of press to the set of the film last week and lifted their embargo today, allowing us our first taste of a whole bunch of Justice League nuggets! Here's a roundup of the most pertinent information.
The logo above is the official logo for the film, and you might notice the lack of frills in the design. It's very muted and toned down compared with everything else we've seen from the DCEU to date. There's also an official synopsis for the film...
Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.
When first announced, the Justice League film was going to be split in two parts, but producer Deborah Snyder had this to say to Empire Magazine...
“We were only ever planning, and we are only doing, Justice League,” she told the mag. 'So, no part two then?' “No.”
Okay... but her husband, Zack Snyder, then seems to contradict that. He insinuates that there will still be another Justice League movie in 2019, but it will be a sequel, not a "part 2".
Jesus Christ, nothing like not being able to make up your fucking minds.
Everyone's favorite Eurotrash production designer, Patrick Tatopoulos, gave us some tantalizing hints as to what kind of upgrades the Batmobile received for this supersized adventure, and those who were upset by Batman's indiscriminate murdering while behind the wheel in BvS will be disheartened to say the least...
"You have missile launchers, you have cannons, you have machine guns,"
Presumably he trailed off as a young woman passed through his field of vision and he had to excuse himself to go musk up. Thankfully Deborah Snyder was there to explain more, like Batman's new vehicle, The Nightcrawler...
"There's an action set piece -- we're gonna take you to this tunnel," producer Deborah Snyder explained. "It's a tunnel they were gonna build between Metropolis and Gotham and it had been abandoned, so the project never really went forward. But there's abandoned remains of what started to be this tunnel. It's pretty hard to get the Batmobile through there, so it's nice to have the Crawler, which can maneuver."
While Brandy and I clearly had some pretty ambitious ideas for who Willem Dafoe could be playing in the film, it turns out we didn't go obscure enough...
Warner Bros. has revealed that Willem Dafoe will play Aquaman's mentor Nuidis Vulko in the upcoming Justice League movies. Announced during a press event on the London set, the casting adds what would appear to be a key ally for Aquaman in the Justice League movies as well as the subsequent Aquaman feature.
Nuidis Vulko was created for 1967's The Brave & the Bold #73 by Bob Haney and Howard Purcell, and has been a long-time ally to Aquaman and, in some continuities, his father. At one time or another, Vulko has been Atlantis's chief scientific advisor, regent, and even king. In the line-wide reboot of DC continuity with "New 52," Vulko was portrayed as a bit of a puppet master, orchestrating the Atlantean War between the Ocean Master and Aquaman.
So, does this mean Ocean Master will be the big baddie for Aquaman? Fingers crossed.
Needless to say there's a wealth of other information out there, namely confirmation that Steppenwolf will indeed be the main villain of the film. Here's a list of some other interesting revelations...
- It's a standalone movie titled Justice League and will have a lighter tone; it's a fun ensemble focusing on the team coming together to take on a common threat.
- The movie will be heavily influenced by Jack Kirby and revolves around the quest for three Mother Boxes; one on Earth, one in Atlantis, and one in Themyscira.
- Justice League takes place months after the events of Batman v Superman.
- A big chunk of the movie will focus on Batman assembling the team, with Superman (sporting some longer hair) set to return a little later on.
- Steppenwolf has yet to be cast and will be one of the main villains. Darkseid's influence will be felt, the Parademons will appear, and Lex Luthor may have some sort of role.
- Batman will upgrade his suit and we'll see a new version of his armoured suit towards the end of the movie.
- Bruce Wayne builds a jet called the "Flying Fox" for the team to use.
- Batman will have a new vehicle called the "Nightcrawler" designed by his father.
- Willem Dafoe is playing Vulko, a mentor to Aquaman.
- Mera is a warrior and sorceress and her costume which have chainmail which blends in with her skin.
- J.K. Simmons will have the classic Commissioner Gordon look.
- The Flash's initial costume will be pieced together by space suits and held together by wire. However, Batman later creates a much more streamlined suit for him to wear.
- Cyborg's costume will be 100% CGI.
- Junkie XL is scoring the movie, but Hans Zimmer's role has yet to be confirmed.
So there you have it. Click any of those headers to go to the original articles and be sure to let us know your thoughts on all this info in the comments section below!