<< Go Back

Advertisement

RUMOR: Disney Unhappy with First Cut of 'Rogue One'

null

Anyone who thought that Disney was a benevolent overlord, content with whatever output they can get from their various properties would do well to remember that moviemaking is a business first and foremost. Therefore, it should come as no surprise to learn that the Mouse House was allegedly unimpressed with director Gareth Edwards first cut of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and is demanding more expensive reshoots to fix some problems this summer.

I invite you to take this all with a grain of salt as it comes to us courtesy of gossip rag Page Six (link below), but it seems in line with the typical big studio response to anything that's new and different...

The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.

One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

It was announced earlier this month that Edwards would not direct “Godzilla 2” later this year, and would instead “focus on smaller films.” But the movie insider told us, “Gareth’s work on the first ‘Godzilla’ [which came out in 2014] shows he can handle a big studio blockbuster. But ‘Rogue One’ has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens.’ So Disney has ordered reshoots.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”

Reps for Edwards didn’t get back to us last night.

A Disney source added, “The filmmaking team and the studio always anticipated additional shooting and second unit work to make the film the absolute best it can be, and the actors were aware there would be additional shooting. Coming off ‘The Force Awakens,’ there’s an incredibly high bar for this movie and we have a responsibility to the franchise and to the fans to deliver the best possible movie we can.”

Okay, first things first. This film is the first of its kind and is sure to rub suits the wrong way. They want familiar, which is why they're begging for this to be another Force Awakens, but it isn't, nor should it attempt to be. This will be Edwards third film as a director, so there's not much to go on, other than 2014's Godzilla which was a film that heavily divided people over its lack of the title character. Is there a lack of Star Wars in this Star Wars film? If so, that might be a problem, but not an unfixable one. 

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much. This is still the most anticipated film of 2016 for most people, and it will make a ton of money. I guess it's a good thing that Disney wants to make sure they're putting out the best possible product, but they don't need to meddle. Meddling kills franchises. 

Via Page Six


Steve attanasie

Steve Attanasie

Tagged in: , , , , , , ,

Categories:

Advertisement

around
comments